Monday, May 01, 2006

Back to knitting

Fiesta is over, and I'm exhausted! Thursday night was NIOSA, a big street fair in the La Villita historic district. Thursday night is traditionally "college night." I was in college once.... Friday was the Battle of Flowers Parade and Saturday was Fiesta Flambeau, the "Night Parade" where not just the floats but even the bands are lit up. Sunday I went up to Buda to the Wiener Dog Races (okay, not really a Fiesta event) and Sunday afternoon was our weekly knitting group.

It was actually cool enough both Friday and Saturday that I was able to knit while waiting for the parades to begin. I worked on the scarf for my cousin, which is now about 35 inches long. Stephanie's new book (which I love, by the way) says a small woman's scarf should be a about 40 inches long; my cousin is a small woman, so I'm almost done! (Okay, I know it's the scarf that's small and not the woman, but in this case, both are true!) You can't really tell much from this photo - take my word that it's 35 inches long. It needs to be in the mail next Wednesday, and I should make it with no problem.

I've also worked a little bit on the Sixth Sense Socks, but unfortunately I seem to be having my first case of second sock syndrome. What makes it even worse is that I'm not even quite done with first sock yet! I think I need to put it aside for a bit.

Luckily, I have a new project to distract me. (You were worried, right?) I cast on for the Seraphim Shawl, in Elann's Peruvian Baby Silk (80% baby alpaca, 20% silk) which is just a wonderful yarn - so soft, so silky! And it's in a very pretty raspberry color, which this photo doesn't do justice.
Yes, I have a ways to go - you begin by casting on 5 stitches, and you increase to 247, before the pattern really begins. I'm up to 51 stitches. I'm forcing myself to work on the scarf to get it done, but I figure next week I can really work on Seraphim.

No comments: