Sunday, August 26, 2007

Lace which is not making me bash my head into the wall

Hemlock Ring

I love this! You all should run right over to Brooklyn Tweed and get his pattern (or rather, his pattern modifications) for the Hemlock Ring Doily-turned-Lap-Blanket. It's very large-scale lace, which makes it fun and just what I needed to satisfy my lace-knitting urge without frustration.

One of my LYSes even had Ecological Wool on sale yesterday, so I bought 2 skeins and some size 10 DPNs. Eco Wool comes in a number of natural shade, all very close to one another. This one is called Antique (8019).

I cast on this afternoon, using the famous Emily Ocker circular cast-on, which wasn't at all fiddly at this size. I knit the first 20 rows on DPNs, then switched to Denises, which will make it easy to lengthen the cord as needed.

This is my mom's Christmas gift -- I don't think she reads my blog -- but I may need to make one for me, too. It only takes a skein and a half of Eco Wool (which come in huge hanks), so maybe I'll run over and get another in this same lot, just in case......

7 comments:

Chris said...

Speedy and non-frustrating - sounds fabulous!

Michelle said...

That will be a fantastic doily/blanket.

Bezzie said...

I don't know, you wowed me with your long tail cast on--I don't know if I could handle seeing another cast on! ;-)

As much as his perfect pictures drive me nuts, that was a cool lap blanket. Can't wait to see yours done!

Anonymous said...

Ooh. Fast and lacey-like! Sounds like a good time.

Amysatx said...

Fast, Lace-like, and Warm! Who could ask for more??!!

Anonymous said...

Very n ice, and a good solution to the lace-weight fiasco we all find ourselves in sometimes.

Anonymous said...

That is very nice. It makes me want to abandon my lacewt, size 2s shawl