Thursday, January 17, 2008

Knitting News

Look what came in the mail a few days ago -

A Piece of Vermont "Shell"
I didn't crop this picture, so you can see how the keycap on the letter c is missing.
Obviously, I need a new MacBook Air!


It's an absolutely beautiful skein of A Piece of Vermont Superwash Colonial sock yarn, in Shell. Isn't it pretty? Pink, with faint streaks of blue/lavender/gray. It's nice and squooshy, and smells good, too. I love Jessie's yarn -- this is the third skein I've bought from her -- but when she posted it right before Christmas, I told myself I could not buy it. I told Jessie this, too, and she came up with the perfect solution: she put it aside so I could buy it after the New Year!

In actual knitting news, I've finished the earflap hat. I'll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow morning. I'll be wearing it tomorrow, because it's cold! (Although not as cold as they're predicting for the weekend, when the high Saturday is supposed to be somewhere between -4º and 0ºF. I have to say that I have a little trouble wrapping my brain around the idea of 0 as the high!)

The earflap hat is a little big. It fits fine around my head, because I've got a big head, but it's a bit long. My loose knitting seems to be getting looser! And that's a nice segue to the next topic: Where's Honeybee?

Honeybee is in time-out, while I face the fact that, due to my loose knitting, I'm going to run out of the beautiful hand-dyed yarn. I know what I'll do - I'll just make it asymmetrical, with the two ends different. But it's so annoying!

Oh -- and the baby for whom I made the hat and booties was born yesterday. I saw pictures of her on her grandma's computer today. She has lots of dark hair, but even so, with these temperatures, she'll definitely need a hat!

5 comments:

Bezzie said...

Ooo..that's a gorgeous color and I love the name!

Ha ha, those MacBook Airs remind me of a skit SNL did of the Mac Conference a year or two ago..hee hee..I'm a keyboard snob, those thin keys look like they wouldn't give much clicky action. I gotta have some clicky action. I hope that's not the wave of the future!

Chris said...

Hee hee - that was clever of Jessie! Pretty yarn.

*shivers thinking about the weekend* I was inspired to go buy some Columbia boots rated to -25F yesterday - although I'll probably hibernate and not go out at all.

Anonymous said...

OH what beautiful yarn!

Amysatx said...

Brrrrrrr...and to think I thought our day in S.A. today was cold (high 41). Beautiful yarn!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm notoriously hard on my keyboards. My last one had holes in both the "e" and "s" keys from the repetitive motion of my fingernails on them. And I've worn the letters off many of the keys so it's a good thing that I am a touch typist. BUT I've never lost an entire key top.