Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Chicago Knitting (and other stuff)

Every year when I'm in Chicago for RSNA (no, I'm not a radiologist - I attend to teach PubMed), my college roommate Pat and I try to get together on my day off. We usually spend the day wandering down Michigan Avenue, shopping a little and talking a lot. And usually, it's cold.

Today was my day off and it was around 60 and rainy. Because this year's hotel is farther south and west than usual, we took a different route.

We walked to Millennium Park, where we saw the Bean,

The Bean, Millennium Park

watched people ice skate, despite the warm, wet weather,

A warm day at the Millennium Park Ice Rink

and wondered what these people on the giant screens were doing (that's Pat down front).

Pat at Millennium Park

We wandered over to State Street, where we bought Frango mints at Marshall Field's Macy's and did a little stash enhancement at Loopy Yarns.

Loopy Yarns

Well, I did stash enhancement. Pat knits, but is apparently not obsessed. (Too bad.... although she's a mighty fine enabler.)

Namaste and yarn

My big purchase was a Namaste "Everyday" knitting bag. I have wanted one for ages, although I've never seen them in person. I guess this is my Christmas present to myself. Besides the bag, I bought two skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Socks in cranberry (on the right). The yarn on the left is four skeins of Rowan Lighweight DK in shade 602 and 046, which was actually bought in Springfield at Nanncy's Knits.

Speaking of Christmas, some gift-knitting has been done.

Christmas knitting, 2006(Sorry about the blurry picture.)
From the bottom right, there's the beginning of a cabled scarf in Plymouth Encore, destined for the Red Scarf Project, then two pairs of Fetchings (the green ones are Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran and the pink ones are Louisa Harding Grace Silk & Wool, knit on smaller needles for smaller hands). At the top is a ball of lace weight cashmere for a secret gift. I'm very proud of that ball of yarn - I wound it by hand using my nottespinne!

Back home soon..... it really does feel like I've been gone forever....

No comments: