Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I hab a code

Or maybe it's a cold. I'm pretty sure I brought it back from Chicago. I thought I was getting sick Sunday morning and by Monday, I was sure. Of course, since Monday was my first day back at work after two weeks gone, I had to be there. Besides, I was assisting with one class and teaching another. This morning, I did a presentation for approximately 75 dental students. In addition to my laptop, I took my box of kleenex and bottle of water. About twenty minutes in, I had a coughing fit - one of those that you feel in the back of your throat and know isn't going to go away easily. I coughed. I drank water. I coughed more. I drank more. I tried to speak. I coughed again. Finally I thought I was done coughing, and tried to speak. It came out as a croak! The students thought it was hilarious... I finally did recover my voice, but I finished the class sooner than planned!

There has been no knitting. My eyes hurt. So instead, here's the Holiday Meme that's been making the rounds.


1. Eggnog or Hot Chocolate?
Hot chocolate, I guess, although I like eggnog, too.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Huh? All presents are wrapped!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Usually all white, but I need new outdoor lights, so I’m thinking of getting colored ones. White on the tree, though.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No – it’s dangerous for the cats.

5. When do you put your decorations out?
Usually the first weekend of December but I’m running late this year.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
“Purple Salad,” a family tradition. Bing cherries, pineapple, mini-marshmallows folded into cream cheese and cool whip. And when my grandma was alive, homemade noodles. I can make the noodles, but I can’t get the chicken broth right.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
Going to Grandma’s the Sunday before Christmas, for dinner with Mom’s side of the family (this is the more sedate, less crazy side).

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I’m pretty sure Dad told me before I started kindergarten so I wouldn’t here it on the street somewhere.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Sometimes

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
A lot of my ornaments are from the three years I lived in Germany – glass icicles, crystal snowflakes, and little wooden ornaments.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
I like the idea of snow, but not the reality!

12. Can you ice skate?
No, I have a lifetime history of bad ankles!

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
My favorite story about a gift wasn’t one of mine. The sedate side of the family always drew names for Christmas. One year my cousin Steve, who was a teenager, had my sister’s name (she was maybe three). His mom had of course bought the gift, and included in it was underwear. He was so embarrassed!

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you?
Spending time with my family, whether we’re here in Texas or in Illinois, and even if it's not exactly on Christmas Day.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Pumpkin pie. Or maybe bourbon balls.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
I make lots of little loaves of carrot-coconut bread for work friends. At the beginning of the season, I count out how many loaves I need to make, and I’m usually a little overwhelmed. But I’m always so happy I did it!

17. What tops your tree?
It used to be a German angel, but her wax face melted a little one summer. Now she stands on the mantel and I’ve got a vintage looking “spire” on the top of the tree.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
As someone said on their blog – who over the age of about 8 would say receiving???

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
I can’t choose just one. “Silent Night,” accompanied by just a guitar. “I’ll Be Home for Christmas.” Bing Crosby singing “White Christmas.” Dean Martin’s version of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” (which isn’t really a Christmas song!)

20. Candy canes?
Maybe one, but usually they’re for decoration (and definitely not those mutant green and white ones!)

No comments: