Saturday, February 09, 2008

C is for Cake Plates and Candlesticks

Bet you thought C would be for Cats, right?
It would have been, if I could get the two of them in the same frame!


Musical cake plates

C could be for a lot of things, since I am something of a Collector. One of my Collections is of Cake plates. It began with the one at the bottom of the picture above, which belonged to my Grandma. Shortly after I received it, I found the top one in an antique shop in Lebanon, Illinois. The two are exactly alike, except that Grandma's doesn't have the gilt edge. I don't know if it ever did, or if it wore off from use.

Now I have a small Collection of Cake plates lined up on my sideboard, which was also Grandma's. Behind them are some colored glass Candlesticks, which I found in a dusty box in a little shop in Boerne, Texas. I think I paid $5 for the group of 7. I don't know anything about them, except that a couple of them have a "made in China" sticker on the bottom. So they aren't old, but they're pretty!

C is for Cake Plates and Candlesticks

The four Cake plates on the right are old, although not antique. The two on the left are new. I like them all!

C could have also been for Candles, since I almost always have candles lit while I'm at home, especially in the winter. I'm particularly partial to warm scents like Cinnamon, Cloves, ginger, and vanilla.

I guess it also could be for Cascade 220, since some followed me home this morning. It's all destined to be Bird in Hand mittens -- a white pair with the design in raspberry for me and a pink pair with white design for my niece.

I've resisted winding up the hanks, because I've got a bad case of startitis, and I really need to finish Honeybee. I'm so close!!!

6 comments:

Bezzie said...

Mmmm...I've always wanted a cake plate, but you gotta have a good way to store/display them. You seem to have that nailed.

The cats never jump up there?

Chris said...

That's a very interesting collection!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh ... candles (which were my C for last year).
I have a Wasabi Ginger one that I particularly like.....

Amysatx said...

What a neat collection! My candle scents (like my perfumes) vary with the seasons for Fall/Winter I like the evergreen or spice scents but for Spring/Summer I like the flowery (especially lilacs) or fruity scents. If I was doing the ABC along I guess my "C" would be for the bazillion cookbooks I have.

Anonymous said...

Love the cake plates! And as you know, YOUR collection spurred MY collection!

Also, go finish Honeybee then make me a pair of Bird in Hand mittens. I know I'll wear them maybe three days a year (and not until next winter, probably!) but they're so pretty and I want to match you and Sarah. :(

Steven said...

I love your cake plates. However, there is a noticeable lack of cake in
these pictures.

I have on the used to be my mother's. It has little lyres on it, too. What is it with lyre motifs and cake plates?