Sunday, April 08, 2007

FO: The Black Purl Socks

But first - BRRRRRRR!!!!! The high yesterday was 55ºF, but that was at midnight and the temperature dropped through the day. It stopped dropping around 9:00 p.m., when it got down to 35, where it stayed most of the night. This was a new record low for April 7 in San Antonio. Last year on April 7, we set a record high -- 99º. All in all, I'd rather it be colder than average, because it will be plenty hot soon, but still -- almost freezing in April is unheard of! (The average high for today is 79º and the average low 55º.)

Today, Easter Day, was a little warmer -- it got up to about 50º -- still chilly, but it was definitely warmer for those taking part in the San Antonio tradition of "camping out" at Brackenridge Park. Several days before Easter, the park district lifts the normal curfew, and families stake out tables and barbecue pits at the park for their Easter picnics. I looked for pictures online and couldn't find any, but I'll bet they were chilly Saturday night!

Remember the Black Purl socks? I finally finished them!

Here they are, modeling with their friends, the Mitred Squares

Socks and Mitred Squares

and here they are on my feet.

Black Purl Socks

Specifics:
Pattern: Marietta Rib Socks, with Scalloped Turn-Over Top, from Lucy Neatby's Cool Scoks, Warm Feet.
Yarn: About a skein and a half of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Black Purl on size 2 bamboo DPNs
Modifications: I used the Round toe instead of the Common Wedge Toe, and I used Grumperina's pretty method for picking up the gusset stitches
What I would change: I would make them a little smaller, probably on size 1 DPNs -- the socks I make for myself are always a little big, because I'm so worried about them being too small. I also worry about running out of yarn, but I had a half skein left, so in the future I can make the legs a little longer, at least from LLSS.

No comments: