Sunday, April 22, 2007

Moving Along

pond

Four days in Iowa City convinced me that I'm really moving there, and I'm happy about it. Everyone I met was really nice, which doesn't surprise me, since Iowa City feels like central Illinois, where I grew up. I found a place to live -- a three bedroom townhouse with a little pond behind it -- despite the fact that it's totally the wrong time of year to find a rental in a college town. My mom drove over for a day while I was there, because it's only about a 3 and a half hour drive from where she lives. Mom got to meet my new boss and some of my co-workers-to-be.

I know that a few of you who have led sheltered lives wonder what Iowa looks like. I've made a Flickr set with a few pictures of the University of Iowa campus. So far, I don't know the names of most of the buildings, but the Hardin Library is where I'll be working.

Of course, on the way back to San Antonio, during my layover at DFW, I got a little teary at the idea of leaving San Antonio. I've been here almost my entire adult life. I've worked in the same place for over 22 years, working my way up the ranks. I've sold the only home I've ever owned. Simon will be going back to live with my sister, his real human mom. It's the first time I've ever moved anywhere alone, unless you count going off to college.

Actually, I won't be moving completely alone, because Harley will be going with me. I've talked to her a lot about the adventure we will be going on together, but she seems skeptical. She's never traveled anywhere except to the vet, and a 17 hour car ride will probably be a trauma. If any of you have advice on traveling with a kitty -- especially a skittish one who doesn't like to be held -- I'd love to hear it!

No comments: