Sunday, April 26, 2009

A little bit of knitting

The last few weeks (maybe months) have been overwhelmingly busy at work, and taking up time at home, too, leaving little time for knitting or anything else. Finally, on Friday, I found myself the passenger in a car going to a meeting in Des Moines, 100 miles away, so I pulled out the baby blanket.

baby blanket, again

The meeting itself provided a bit more knitting time. Unfortunately, just before we were about to leave, for another good 90 minutes of knitting in the car, I managed to break the cable on my Denise needles, right below where it attached to the needle. Luckily, I had another cable the same (long!) length, but it was, of course, at home.

Yesterday morning, I had a little more knitting time, while waiting for my car to get new stabilizer rod links (I don't really know what they are or why they cost $300 to replace, but my car is running better and doesn't creak like it did). Instead of taking the baby blanket, which really is beyond the easily-portable size, I pulled out Hedera, and got a bit past the cuff of the second sock.

Hedera #2

So that's about it on the knitting front. As I said, work is really busy, with a new librarian (probably the last one we'll be able to hire for a while) beginning tomorrow and lots of decisions to be made about how to deal with the inevitable budget problems next year. Luckily, one of the busiest times of year, "evaluation season," is over, and that new librarian should be a lot of help to me, once she gets settled in. Hopefully, I'll soon have more knitting time than I've had in the several months.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Bummer about the timing on the broken cable!

Kaye said...

I snapped my stabilizer rod in San Antonio! The salt from those midwest winters ate thru the metal, I ran over a curb and bam! $300ish later...

Glad work is slowing down and you'll have more knitting time!!!

Jen said...

Knit when you can. I sort of miss baseball when both my boys played, those were v. productive days!

Steven said...

You're so lucky you can knit in the car. I'm afraid I would have motion sickness issues...

Great work on the blanket and the socks. Looking great! I hear you on the business at work. I've been able to avoid bringing the library home...so far!

Melissa DeSantis said...

What kind of creaking was your car doing? Mine is creaking now, and I'm wondering what it is, and if it is serious...