Sunday, October 01, 2006

FO: Seraphim

I finished binding off Seraphim this afternoon at Sunday knitting at Candlelight. Here she is unblocked, hanging on the sideboard (my grandma's sideboard, and my favorite piece of furniture), with help from the ever-cooperative cakestand collection.

Seraphim and the Sideboard

And here she is after her Eucalan bath, blocking on a quilt on the living room floor, with help from the ever-UNcooperative Simon. I've got the ceiling fan going (on medium, because on high it shakes and blows leaves off the ficus tree), so it should be dry by bedtime.

Simon and Seraphim

The color is closer in this picture, although it's actually somewhere between the two pictures. I'm probably not blocking her tightly enough, but the pattern is definitely clearer now, and -- look! -- points! I used the blocking wires that I bought from KnitPicks, and it was really easy. And earlier today, Grumperina had a post about using her Knitpicks blocking wires, and that made me much more confident.

Details:
Pattern: Seraphim, by the amazingly talented Miriam
Yarn: Elann's Peruvian Collection Baby Silk (80% baby alpaca, 20% silk) in color 2010 (raspberry). I used 9 25g skeins, and broke into the 10th for about the last half of the bind-off. At $2.50 per skein, this yarn is a real bargain. I love it and will definitely use it again. (Unfortunately, the current color selection isn't so great.)
Modifications: None on purpose. However, about 20 rows in, in the plain stockinette section at the top, I accidentally did 4 rows in reverse stockinette. I was knitting at a conference and was apparently paying too much attention to the speaker! And now that I look at it, I think I've blocked it wrong -- I think the points are supposed to be on the "spines." I guess if I don't like the way it looks when it's dry, I'll just soak it again and reblock.

No comments: