Monday, August 21, 2006

Illinois Stash Enhancement

There was knitting and, more importantly, yarn shopping while I was in Illinois. Springfield has two yarn shops, but before I hit either of them, I went to Champaign to visit a friend. While there, I dropped by the LYS, Needleworks. It's a good thing I don't still live in Champaign, or I would be broke. I love this shop! It began 20 years ago as a needlepoint/cross-stitch shop. Sharon, the owner, only added knitting a few years ago, but now most of the store is devoted to yarn. It's actually 4 'storefronts'--3 downstairs and 1 upstairs--in a strip mall. Her selection was great and I bought all of this, plus one last gift for my Secret Pal (who I don't think has figured out who I am, but -- just in case!)

Champaign stash

Starting from the left, there's a big ball of Merino Lace from Skacel, in a lovely pale, pale pink -- 1375 yards! (It came with a free Evelyn Clark pattern, too.) Then we have 6 skeins of Koigu -- two skeins of KPPPM in a variegated pink (colorway P207152), two skeins of KPM in an almost solid coral-y pink (colorway 2232), and two skeins of KPPPM in P802 -- greens and browns. I think the almost solid pink would look great as heels and toes on socks made from the variegated pink, although I bought enough to make an entire pair, just in case I change my mind.

While Sharon wound the Merino Lace for me, I sat at their table and knitted with some really nice people -- it was such a great atmosphere! In addition to the big table, they also have a 'couch and comfy chair' area upstairs. One of the part-time staff, Nancy, sat with us, and offered advice as needed. Like I said, it's a good thing I don't live there!

After such a nice haul there, I almost forgot to go by the two stores in Springfield -- but luckily, I remembered! They're smaller and very different from each other. Nancy's Knitworks is a little smaller, but has a very nice selection. Nancy wasn't there when I went by (although she usually is), but her son was running the store. I picked up some gift-related yarn there, too, plus this (sorry for the glare):

Lace kit

It's a little merino lace kit (100m) in shades from mulberry to deep purple, complete with a pair of 3.75mm needles, and 3 scarf patterns. Lest it seem like I've got an obsession with merino lace, this was half price!

Then I made my way around the corner (about a mile, probably) to Nitwits. While Nancy's is very organized, Nitwits is a little more haphazard although I believe they have more yarn. They also have a nice button collection (as does Needleworks). By then, I was kind of shopped out, so I just bought some needles -- DPNs in size 6 and 7.

However -- the stash enhancement wasn't quite over! When I got back to San Antonio Saturday night, this was waiting for me:

Scout's Illini yarn

It's a skein of the Illini sock yarn from Scout's shop. Go there now -- her stuff is gorgeous! My pictures a little blurry, but this is a variegated skein in orange and blue -- University of Illinois colors. She makes an Illini self-striping yarn, too. And she does custom-dying, too.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nanncy's is my favorite knitting store. The owner is always helpful and the selection of yarns and needles is wonderful.