Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Aggieland, not Rheinbeck

While most of the rest of the knitblogworld was at Rheinbeck, I was in College Station, Texas. College Station is the home of Texas A&M, the Aggies, and is probably the ultimate college town. College Station and its sister city, Bryan, sort of remind me of Champaign-Urbana. In both cases, there's nothing except the university -- although the obsession is a little more cultish in College Station. Nevertheless, I love a college town!

I was in College Station for the annual meeting of SCC/MLA, a.k.a. 200 of my closest friends. SCC consists of health sciences librarians from Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and New Mexico, and we are a smart, fun group. SCC is a great little conference -- large enough that we have some really good presentations, but small enough that it's easy to get to know people. (Okay -- the fact that I just finished my past-president year probably makes me a little prejudiced…)

black purl marietta

I made nice progress on my ruffle-topped sock (it's actually the Marietta Rib Sock with Scalloped Turn-Over Top, from Lucy Neatby's Cool Socks Warm Feet). My switch to the LLSS Black Purl seems to have gotten me over my sock-knitting issues.

As you may have noticed, knitting is fairly common among librarians. One day, over lunch (literally, an hour between two committee meetings), two other knitters, Greg and Steve, and I made a quick visit to the Hook and Needle, Bryan/College Station’s LYS. (I can’t believe I didn’t think to take any pictures!) It's a small, new shop, but with a nice selection, including some fleece and spinning supplies. The owner was extremely gracious, and had little gifties for us. I also managed to acquire two skeins of dark teal Lang Jawoll and a much needed crochet hook. I must own 30, but I managed to get to College Station without one.

Jawoll and giftie

It’s hard to see, but the giftie was a purse-sized note pad, a pen, and a pretty little stitch marker tied with a pink ribbon. Isn’t that a nice idea?

No comments: