Sunday, May 07, 2006

Secret Pal 8 Questionnaire

Possibly more than you really want to know about me.....

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Merino, alpaca, mohair – anything wooly. Cotton is okay, but I like the stretch in wool. I’m pretty anti-acrylic, although I’ve used an acrylic blend recently for a baby sweater.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a nice needle roll made by my mom for my straights, but I need to find something better for my dpns and circs.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve been knitting for a little over two years this time, although I first learned as a child. I’d say I’m somewhere between beginner and intermediate.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Amazon and WishCentral

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I love vanilla-based scents and in the summer, I like citrus-y scents, too. At the moment, I really like orange/tangerine.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Chocolate!!! (any kind, and I think I may be addicted to peanut M&Ms)

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
No, I don’t spin and I don’t really want to learn. I have enough hobbies – I also scrapbook and stamp. I know how to crochet, although I haven’t done much in quite a while. And I used to cross-stitch a lot, and at one time knew how to tat. On the non-crafty side, I also work on my family history,

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Because I am old, my favorite music is 70s rock, but I really like almost everything, except maybe rap (although some hip-hop is okay). And I have an iPod.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love pinks and reds and everything in between. There aren’t really any colors I hate, although in general, browns and earth tones aren’t high on my list (although I do like greens).

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Single with two kitties.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
No ponchos, but I like shawls, scarves, hats, and mittens, despite the fact that I live in South Texas.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Right now I’m into socks.

13. What are you knitting right now?
Well – socks! And a Seraphim shawl.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Of course!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circs, I guess, although sometimes I feel like I just have to knit with straights. Mostly I use bamboo, although I have a one set of rosewood dpns that I love and a set of Denises I use regularly.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes to both.

17. How did you learn to knit?
Grandma taught me to both knit and crochet as a child. At the time, crocheting “took” and knitting did not. About two and a half years ago, my sister decided she wanted to learn to knit, so we took lessons at our LYS.

18. How old is your oldest UFO?
I have a cable shawl in mohair that I’ve been working on for about a year and a half. It’s very pretty, but awfully warm to work on during all but the coldest months.

19. What is your favorite holiday?
I guess I’ll be boring and say Christmas, but I do really love the decorating and the presents and the cards and the seeing of family and everything else about it.

20. Is there anything that you collect?
Old or unusual cake stands and “Pink Daisy” pyrexware. I used to collect teapots and still have a soft spot for them.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
The only subscription I have is to IK. I’m always jealous of knitters with good LYSes that carry those “exotic” yarns, like Lorna’s Laces and Koigu. There’s lots of sock yarns out there I’d like to try.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I have really bad knitting form – I just sort of grasp the yarn in my right hand and toss it around. I’d like to improve my form, but that may be impossible. Ideally, I'd like to learn to knit Continental, since it looks so elegant.

I'm also a beginner at lace knitting, and at the moment am enthralled with it.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes. I wear a woman’s size 9 shoe. My foot is about 9 1/2 inches long, and I have a rather high arch and, a, ummmm, sturdy ankle.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
July 30.

No comments: