Friday, September 21, 2007

New Stuff

New stuff -- really, new needles! As you may remember (I always feel silly saying that -- does anyone actually pay that much attention?), I am planning on knitting Anne's Honeybee Stole as a Christmas gift, out of the suggested yarn, Wooly Wonka Merino Laceweight in Northern Lights. I figured I should use the suggested needles, too.

Here they are -- Jenkins circulars, US size 5 in Bolivian rosewood. I've never owned handmade needles before! They look perfect -- nice and pointy!

Jenkins needles

Not too long after I ordered these, KnitPicks came out with their Harmony set of interchangeable wooden needles. I had been whining (silently, of course) about the thickness of the cable on my Denises, and had even considered buying the KnitPicks Options metal needles -- even though I don't really like metal needles. The Harmony set solved my problem!

Here they are, working on my Hemlock Ring lap blanket -- which, by the way, is getting quite large, but the fact that 3 out of 4 rounds are now stockinette in the round really bores me. I miss the fun, large-scale lace in the center!

Harmony needles and Hemlock Ring
Oooh! Ignore the scaly-looking cuticle!

Along with the Harmony needles, I ordered yarn for my Red Scarf. Scarves are due October 15, so, as the world's slowest knitter, I need to get to work on it. I'm using Knitpicks Swish Superwash in Fired Brick (the color is WAAAY off in my photo) to make the Interlocking Balloons scarf from Scarf Style.

Red Scarf scarf

This is a fun pattern -- a few cable crossings among 1x3 ribbing, combined with increases and decreases, and it really does resemble balloons. It's a 44-row repeat, so I can't memorize it, but it really makes sense, so I don't get easily lost. Oh -- and it's full of the previously-dreaded purls-through-the-back-loop, which really aren't so bad, once you do 10 or 12 in an evening!

9 comments:

Bezzie said...

Red never photographs well--but you did capture the stitch pattern nicely!

Great close up of the Harmonys too. The KP options never flipped my cookies because they were metal. Maybe once the wooden ones are out for a bit...

coastergirl said...

ooh - it all looks so nice! I have to admit - you know how I am about my Addi's, but the options have converted me - soooo pointy! yes - you know that I was not a pointy needle person, but I am converted! And I am also coveting the Harmony set....hmmmm

I will be posting my crapotis progress hopefully tonight - ttfn

Chris said...

Gorgeous stitch pattern on that scarf! Mmmm... new needles! I finally decided that I should try some more options 0s and get over my aversion to their pointiness, what with the speed that I maim Addis of that size...

Helen said...

Hating you now... coveting your needles...lusting after them...
Must get job so I can get paycheck so that I can buy needles....

WK said...

I bought Knit Picks options last winter and I really like them (flexible cable and pointy tips). However, I wish they had the wood available then, since I do prefer it to metal! I really like the scarf - you captured it well in your photo.

Anonymous said...

Love the scarf!

Amysatx said...

The red scarf looks fantastic! I'm drooling over your Harmony needles but not sure I can justify the expense since I do have a set of the Options(I like the metal clinking sound)..and Denise's. Have you gotten to try some Iowa corn fresh from the field yet?

Anonymous said...

I personally love metal needles and I love my Options set. That won't deter me, however, from getting the Harmony set too. You can never have too many sets. Besides the colors are growing on me.

Kim said...

How do you like the needles? I think they might be calling my name but I can't hear them over the shouting credit card bill that has arrived :-)