Thursday, June 29, 2006

Another sock

lace sock


Okay, so it's not much of a sock, so far, but I think I like it. It's Sheri's Lace Socks by Sockbug. It probably won't show off the stripes in the Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock Lucky Strike as well, but I like it. I modified the pattern a bit -- I added a repeat to accomodate my fluffy ankles and replaced the ribbing with a stockinette (roll) cuff. I'm slightly worried about the socks staying up, but I'm hoping the lace pattern is stretchy enough to work without ribbing.

I usually knit socks on 5 needles,but I'm doing this on 4, because I've got 6 pattern repeats, so that distributes nicely over the 3 working needles. But it's driving me crazy! My hand expects the needles to be in a square, not a triangle. I may try redistributing the stitches over four needles.

I spent today in a conference, and will be there tomorrow and Saturday morning, too. I took Seraphim, since I'm still in the stockinette section. I think I'll get this part done tomorrow. I think the next section, where the lace begins, is simple enough that I'll be able to do it while listening to speakers. That first lace section just has a few K2tog/yo combinations every few rows. Judicious use of stitch markers should keep me on track!

The weirdest thing happened today at the conference. It's a nursing conference, but I'm on the planning committee, so I know no one there except the other planning committee members. At lunch, I sat down in the only empty chair at a table of 9 strangers. According to the name tags, everyone at the table was from either Tennessee or Texas, but once we started talking, several of us turned out to have Illinois roots. And what's really weird was that the woman on my left and the man on her left both knew of my teeny little central Illinois hometown (population 800)! Both had gone to small colleges nearby, although the guy had transferred to the University of Illinois and -- are you ready?? -- was in college there at the same time I was! ....cue Twilight zone music..... (Although, really, being at the same 35,000 student university at the same time isn't nearly as unusual as them both knowing my hometown.)

No comments: